Newsletter #15, March 22, 2017
Post date: Apr 21, 2017 3:59:58 AM
With a week off for spring break, it certainly feels like it’s been awhile since I sent out information. With spring, a lot of new activities are underway. I understand if there are other obligations that you must juggle. However, all students continue to be welcome to join us, even it means coming a little later or leaving a little early.
We are approaching the end of the school year, here is the calendar of upcoming club meetings and chess tournaments.
- March 25: Iowa Class Championships, Des Moines. This is an All-Ages State Championship Event, hosted at Drake University. Players will compete in sections based on their rating. Most of our students would compete in Class E for players rated under 1200. This section will have mostly scholastic players. See details below.
- March 28: Match with Coolidge Elementary School. Next week, we will meet on Tuesday and not on our normally scheduled Monday. See details below.
- April 1: Iowa K-12 Open and K-9, K-6, and K-3 Section Championships. This scholastic chess tournament will be held at Northwest Junior High School in Coralville. Online registration at https://onlineregistration.cc/CII/2017K12CHAMP
- April 3: Prairie Chess Club: Regular meeting of the Prairie Chess Club.
- April 10: Chess Club Cancelled? I will be out of town most of the week and unable to hold chess club. If there are parents willing to help run the club, we can still meet, but otherwise we will cancel. I will let you know on next week’s newsletter if I receive enough volunteers. Of course Dustin Sellon and our high school volunteers will be available.
- April 18: Prairie Chess Club:There is no school on Monday, April 17th. We will meet on the 18th, normal schedule.
- April 24: Prairie Chess Club: Last Chess Club Meeting of the School Year!
- April 29 & 30: Ice Harbor Scholastic Open: Final scholastic chess tournament of the school year! Visit www.iceharborchess.com for details and registration information. This tournament is LIKE NO OTHER!
- July 17-21: Prairie Chess Camp. Register online at www.chessiniowa.org/chesscamp
We have been studying a lot. So, I thought it was time to just let the kids play. Actually, we started our Spring Chess Club Tournament. The Point and Creek students got in two rounds. The Elementary Students complete one. We will continue the tournament over the next few meetings. I am sure I will be unable to resist the urge to drop in a lesson.
Iowa Class Championships, Des Moines, Saturday March 25 This is an All-Ages State Championship Event, hosted at Drake University - the same location as our state team championship held earlier this year. Players will compete in sections based on their rating. Most of our students would compete in Class E for players rated under 1200. This section will have mostly scholastic players, but could have a few beginner adults (Parents?) Details are posted online at http://www.iowa-chess.org/iowaclasschampionships. You may register online at http://onlineregistration.cc
Chess Club Match with Coolidge Elementary, Tuesday March 28
We have set up another chess match. This time, it will be against Coolidge Elementary School of Cedar Rapids. The match is set for Tuesday after school, March 28 and will go from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm. It will run much like our last two matches. We will not meet on Monday, March 27 (Sorry, I cannot take off work to have club Monday and the match on Tuesday). Pick up will be the normal time. Parents are invited to come and watch.
Prairie Chess Camp, July 17-21, 2017
The chess camp is now half full (32) including 6 Prairie students. It does sell out every year and if you want to join us, I strongly suggest registering early than later. We do offer a full refund until June 17. This is a great experience for the kids. The camp web page, with registration information, is available online at: http://www.chessiniowa.org/chesscamp. I have flyers on the table at chess club, too.