Prairie Chess Club
Welcome to the 2018-2019 Prairie Chess Club!
We have many opportunities to play chess throughout the Prairie Schools. Currently, registration is open for clubs at Point, Creek, Heights, Hill, and Crest.
- We meet on all Mondays school is in session.
- Pick up is 4:30 pm for grades 5-9 and 5:00 pm for grades K-4.
- Students in Grades K-4 will be met at the bus loading area and be escorted to Prairie Creek for their chess lesson and to play chess games.
- There are no fees. All chess equipment and online chess instructional materials are provided by the school.
- There will be an opportunity to sign up for treats and to purchase Prairie Chess Club T-Shirts
- We will play 2-4 other scholastic chess clubs in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City during the school year.
Weekly Chess Puzzles
The following chess puzzles were handed out to students at the Prairie Chess Club where we worked together during our lesson and concluded with a review of the answers.
Checkmate in One Move
Find White's best move that checkmates the Black King.
Back Rank Checkmate
Find the move or sequence of moves that checkmates the Black King. The tactic requires a rook or queen to deliver checkmate by moving to the back rank (8th row).
Find the knight's way through the chess board to get to the King. Just don't land on a square attacked by the enemy piece!
Find the knight move that attacks two pieces at once. The harder problems require a forced sequence (e.g. check or capture) of two moves.
Find the bishop's way through the board to king. Just don't land on a square attacked by the enemy piece!
Find the move that attacks pins a move valuable piece than the bishop. The harder problems require a forced sequence (e.g. check or capture) of two moves.
Find the rook's way through the board to king. Just don't land on a square attacked by the enemy piece!