Iowa Pawn Stormers
Scholastic Chess Team
The Iowa Pawn Stormers are now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 School Year. To apply, please click here and complete the registration form. You will be notified on August 31 of your selection. A maximum of 18 students will be selected. Not all applicants will be selected. Selection criteria include US Chess Rating, Gender, Grade, and School.
What are the Pawn Stormers?
The Iowa Pawn Stormers is a club team of select scholastic players from the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids Corridor. Membership in the Iowa Pawn Stormers includes the following:
- Limited to (16) players and alumni. Players range in age from 3rd grade to 11th grade. We currently have three female and eleven male team members. Players can come from any school.
- One practice per week for 26 weeks. We have chosen Thursday from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
- Iowa Master and 4-Time Iowa State Champion Dan Brashaw will be our head coach. Assistant coaching is also provided by National Master Arshaq Saleem and James Hodina.
- Practices rotate between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids with 2 practices in Coralville for every 1 in Cedar Rapids (reflective of the number of Pawn Stormers living in the two areas). CR players often van pool to IC.
- The Iowa Pawn Stormers travel to 4 tournaments per year with coaches Dan Brashaw and Jim Hodina. These events are selected by the families at the beginning of the season.
- Total membership cost is $750 which includes (may vary based on tournament entry fees):
- 26 weekly lessons with the coaches
- 4 Tournaments (or more) with on-site coach post-game analysis
- Team Jacket with the Pawn Stormer logo
- USCF and Chess.com Platinum memberships
- Weekly assignments called Chess Token Challenges. While highly recommended, they are not mandatory.
- Pawn Stormer regalia for completion of Chess Token Challenges