Post date: Nov 10, 2017 11:19:13 PM
Dear Prairie Chess Club,
This week we introduced the chess tactic call “forks.” I have attached the puzzle handouts. Some are harder than others, depending on the experience of the chess player. Students did not have a lot of time to work on these in club, so I encourage any ambitious chess player to try these at home.
We then played one or two more rounds (depending on grade) of our club chess tournament. After next Monday chess club, I will post the results on www.chessiniowa.org/prairiechess.
Hopefully, this gets us ready for the Prairie Fall Classic Chess Tournament next Saturday (11/18). The tournament is at Prairie Point in the cafeteria. The first game starts at 10 am and, including a lunch break, we will be done around 4 pm. It sounds like a long time, but trust me, it goes fast. I have received and answered a lot of questions already and I am happy to keep doing so. Here are a bunch of details:
- You may register online at https://onlineregistration.cc/CII/2017PFC. I readily admit that this site is not the most user-friendly. But it’s the only one we got. Advanced registration is extremely helpful and much better than not using it. It really does help cut down on the data entry and, most importantly, it greatly speeds up the morning registration process, getting us started (and finished) on time.
- When registering, you will be prompted for a US Chess Federation (USCF) ID. Simply type “new” in this field and move on. Do not purchase a USCF Membership. The Prairie Chess Club will pay for this through a donation from the Prairie Foundation. At the tournament, I will ask you to fill out a membership application that includes your mailing address and your child’s birthdate (memberships are age dependent).
- I recommend that our chess club members register for either the K-6 U1000 or the K-3 Open based on your grade.
- If you prefer, you may send payment to chess club on Monday. Please put payment in an envelope with your child’s name...especially if you pay in cash.
- If something comes up at the last minute and you cannot attend, please contact me before the start of the tournament and you will be issued a full refund.
- Finally, I have a FAQ sheet at http://www.chessiniowa.org/faqs
Please let me know if you have any other questions.